Monday, October 20, 2014

Day 1 - And Now We Play the Waiting Game

Hey everybuddy! Welcome to my vEEG blog, where I spout nonsense from a hospital bed because I'm only allowed to get up to use the potty and Im gonna be SUPER bored. So I've got all the electrodes in place and a camera watching me. Didn't take my Tegratol this morning and I'm assuming I won't be getting it tonight, or for the duration of this study. It's kind of like Opposite Day for 3-7 days. They'll be doing everything in their power to make sure I DO have seizures, and after they get 2-5 "good" ones, they'll unhook me and I can go home and probably sleep nonstop for a few days. I want this to be over and done with as soon as possible - seizures are physically painful and incredibly mentally taxing, and they usually come out of nowhere. I'll be minding me own business and next thing I'm lying on the floor being told I just had one. It's really weird knowing I'm about to have a whole bunch in a row. I'm not gonna lie, I've been kind of terrified the past few days. I feel better now that I'm here in my comfy bed and I've gotten to know the staff. Everyone here is really cool. My only previous hospital visits (since having a pesky cyst taken off my ovary when I was 14) have been to the ER, and lemme tell ya, being legit admitted is WAY nicer. Like, 1 star hotel vs 4 star hotel. I had to go to this hospital's ER once for a really bad migraine I got at like 3 in the morning, and the waiting room has bullet proof windows and a metal detector, and the woman in front of me was OBVIOUSLY tweaking.

The shittiest thing - pun intended - about being in here (besides the whole having a bunch of seizures thing) is that as a "fall risk," someone has to come with me to the bathroom EVERY TIME. Folks, I have always had a shy bladder/sphincter. I was a grown ass adult before I could even get myself to go #1 in public restrooms, and it has to be, like, a potty emergency for me to go #2 somewhere besides my special bathroom. Now you're telling me I have to do it while a stranger watches me?!? I don't give a shit whether it's a female nurse, that doesn't comfort me any more. I even asked if I could have Steve take me, but no, it HAS to be someone who works here. They also will not let me leave the hospital until I have made special poop for them, so just holding it for a week isn't an option either. Aaaaanyway, I'm just gonna be here sipping Dr. Pepper and blasting house music until they get some seizure activity out of me. At some point they're gonna come in with the strobe lights, but those have never induced a seizure in me before. The only things that I know of as triggers so far are not taking my meds and not sleeping, so I doubt they'll get anything until at least tomorrow morning. They usually happen in the mornings, too.

So tonight is gonna be SO FUCKING BORING. Look for me to be texting/facebooking/redditing/ Internetting up a storm while I'm in here. Where are my Korean and Australian friends at? Well, Korea and Australia, respectively, but you'll be awake when I am! To cut into the boredom some, I'm going to be doing my own monitoring of the little brain wave machine attached to the camera. I want to see what it does when I catch a really rare Pokémon (playr.org has all the old Gameboy games for free on flash, just in case you were getting anything done at your office job) or the Royals make a really good play, and conversely if that Pokémon gets away from me at the last second or the Royals do something stupid. Yes, I will have cable, and apparently my jinx phase is over because I watched the last three games and we seemed to do okay!

No comments:

Post a Comment